IIPM Admission

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Miller's worth

IIPM BBA MBA Institute: Student Notice Board

Since breaking out of prison on tv in the highly acclaimed and popular 'prison break', the good looking wentworth miller is back strutting his stuff in the latest installment of the resident evil franchise. Neha Sarin catches up with the actor to find out what challenges chris redfield's character had for him

How was it for you to come to this franchise? Were you familiar with "Resident Evil"?

I'd heard of it! (laughs) I hadn't seen the movies; I had never played the video games. I was aware that it had a significant presence in pop culture but it was new to me, so I knew I had homework to do and my approach was to try and balance a number of influences as best I could and one of them was to watch the video games. I had the producers cut together sequences that spoke to me (about my) character's back story and then I went online and did my research as there is a lot of conversation and expectation among the fans as to who Chris Redfield is or should be and then there is also Chris Redfield as imagined by Paul. I had to fit into his vision. It was a good time. I especially enjoyed coming from an experience like prison break.

Did you ever feel like "I have no control over my fate, so I am sticking to acting"?

Yeah, you stick to it because you have a choice. You stick to it because you like to do it above anything else in the world. Even when I wasn't working, I was in class and doing scenes and doing what I love, which is to tell stories... to touch people and to inspire people whether it's on stage or in front of the camera. It makes no difference at the end of the day. I am lucky enough that I am at a place in my career where I can pick and choose. I wasn't always like that, but now that I am, I want to proceed as carefully as possible.

What were your early experiences on stage?

As a kid, I think it was a Thanksgiving Day play and I got to play one of the pilgrims and my parents came and they all toddled out on stage with homemade costumes. I think it was that first round of applause that clued me into that very special connection between an actor and his audience. There is nothing like it and that's why I can't walk away.

How was it working with Milla Jovovoich?

I think she is the walking embodiment of this movie. I think one of the reasons this franchise is so successful is because her character is so distinct, strong, smart, driven' a vulnerable woman who happens to be the action figure in the centre of an action adventure franchise. I don't think we tell enough of those stories, but if you look back to Sigourney Weaver in 'Alien', her character Ripley, Milla is kind of the direct descendant of that line and it's at the core of this movie's appeal. And for me to jump on to this train that's many miles down its track, it was important to look to on the set, to copy, to role model myself after, in terms of what is this universe, what's the level of expectations, what's required of me and like I said, she is kind of the walking example of all those things. Now that your role in the series, 'Prison Break", is over, would you come back to TV?

Absolutely! I think there are some amazing stories being told on TV and let's be honest, the things you can do with a character over the course of four seasons, you can't do in a movie. Therefore, that is tremendously appealing. At the same time, having come from a TV show that went for four years, we shot for ten months and the other two months were spent promoting. It's nice to be involved in a movie where I shoot it for two months, come back for a month of press and I am done, so I can turn my attention to something else.

What's your favourite TV show?

I am watching reality competition shows actually ' 'Top Chef', 'Project Runway' and 'Work of Art' which was great and unexpected, going through the artistic process.

Have you seen the completed version of Resident Evil 4? Since the movie is shot in 3D, how was the experience?

I have not. I have seen only bits and pieces. While we were shooting in 3D which in its best usage is not a distraction from the story but is actually being used to tell the story. It's a nice integration of the technology with the particular tale they wish to tell. I wish to see amazing kick-ass stunt sequences, that's why we put it together, that's why people will want to see it. My job as an actor is to try and layer the character in and around the gun fights and the battle sequences when something horrible happens to Claire or Chris or Alice It registers with the audiences who care at some level.

What do you like about the pop culture. No video games?

Naah, no video games! I grew up in a house where it was all about homework. There wasn't really any opportunity for video games or comic books, they were kinda frowned upon. So this is my opportunity to have a second childhood. But I love going to movies, I love certain kinds of TV. I love classical music, not in a know-it-all, aficionado kind of way. I couldn't tell you the name of composers or different pieces. I just like it as a background music; it's inspiring and music is something I use when I am approaching a character or a scene. It can be anything that gets you in the right mood .

So what did you listen to for this role?

Ummm! I think it was some Eminem' playing it kind of loud and aggressive.

If you had to pick your next favourite character, what would you like to play?

I would love to find 'My Shining'. I would love to do a Jack Nicolson in it. I think it's a great example of a horror movie that has a lot of psychological meat on the bone.


For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
IIPM Marches Ahead in B-School Rankings...
IIPM in sync with the best of the business world.....
Delhi University Students' Union (DUSU): Students' Unions can not be banned
Best Colleges for Vocational Courses in India
INDIA'S BEST COLLEGES, INSTITUTES and UNIVERSITIES

No comments: